With funky CSS support and coding practices from circa 1994, designing HTML emails might seem like rocket science. Thankfully, quite a bit of solid documentation exists on effective HTML email design, so below is my recommended reading list if you want to take your newsletters to the next level.
Getting Started With HTML Email
- “Design and Build an Email Newsletter Without Losing Your Mind (or Soul)”
- “Rock Solid HTML Emails”
An excellent starter tutorial.
For moving CSS inline.
HTML and CSS in Email Clients
- “Email Client Popularity: June 2011”
- “Guide to CSS Support in Email Clients”
- Email Standards Project
Mobile Email Design
- Style Campaign blog
- “What You Can Learn From Panic’s Approach to Email Marketing”
- “Mobile Email Design in Practice: The New CampaignMonitor Newsletter”
- “Optimizing HTML Email for Mobile Using Progressive Disclosure”
- “Finger Snafu”
I highly recommend this post to mobile design enthusiasts.
- “Make your HTML Email 5× More Mobile Friendly”